Home > Cars > How to import your car

How to import your car

Updated on May 21, 2024

If you are thinking about moving to Switzerland with your car, you must be ready to undergo some formalities. First, the vehicle must be checked and imported, plus you must get car insurance. The car should also be re-registered under Switzerland’s regulations within one year after moving. If you have owned your vehicle for less than six months, you must pay import duty, but the car is duty-free if you owned it for more than six months.

How to proceed with bringing your car into Switzerland

First, your relocation service provider must include your car with personal effects declaration and provide you with a customs forms used for importation. The documents that you need are:

  • Swiss ID
  • Expert report 13.20A
  • Customs authorisation 18.44 (you can get this from customs or your moving company if the car is part of your household goods)
  • The car’s license/registration card from abroad (sometimes translated)
  • Proof of insurance
  • COC (certificate of conformity) in case the car was not on your name longer than 6 months. Otherwise, you do not have to bring this document

How much does the car import cost?

If you owned the car for more than six months:

  • One time custom duties, varying on the weight of your car
  • A fee for the car expertise given by the customs authority
  • Cost of exchanging your plates and new car document

If you owned the car less then 6 months before moving:

  • Additional onetime payment: VAT: 8.1% (2024) of the value of the car
  • Consumption automobile tax: 4% of the value of the car


  • Swiss road tax depending on the car’s engine capacity and the canton of residence - expect an amount in the range of a few hundred francs. 
  • Autobahn vignette (CHF 40.- per year)
  • Mandatory third-party car insurance from insurances Switzerland providers. In case your car will be leased, a full casco insurance is mandatory

Acquiring a Swiss Driver’s License

Each expat who moves to Switzerland with their car has 365 days from the date of registration to acquire a Swiss driver’s license. You must undergo a test drive and eye test if you are from a country that is not a member of the European Union, EFTA or exempted countries.

Do you think about taking your own car to Switzerland from abroad? We would be happy to explain you everything you need to know and to support you with the whole procedure. Contact us now for a personal consultation.

Validation of foreign driver's license

Many expats come to Switzerland not knowing what will happen to their driver's license. Is it still valid in Switzerland? What is the further procedure? Here is a short overview over the foreign driver's license laws in Switzerland.

What expats need to know about the vignette road tax in Switzerland

If you're a newcomer in Switzerland, you may be surprised to learn you are legally required to have a vignette on your car if you plan on driving on the highway. Here's everything you need to know about the vignette road tax.

Evgeniy Timoshenko

Do you have any questions? Get in touch with me.

Follow us